INDIRA Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) is one of the best distance education institutions and public educational institutions in India. IT IS LOCATED IN NEW DELHI AND USUALLY RELATED IGNOU. IGNOU offers students a variety of graduate and undergraduate courses. A HUGE NUMBER OF STUDENTS STUDY IN VARIOUS COURSES UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF IGNOU. IGNOU announces its exam results at the end of the semester for both sessions. However, after the result was announced, students often got confused about the IGNOU percentage calculation.
The system of evaluation followed by the University also is different from that of conventional universities. IGNOU has a multitier system of evaluation.
- Self-assessment exercises within each unit of study material.
- Continuous evaluation mainly through assignments which are tutor-marked, practical assignments and seminar/ workshops/extended contact programmes, etc.
- Term-End Examinations (TEE).
- Project / Term-end Practical examination.
The evaluation of learners depends upon various instructional activities undertaken by them. A learner has to write assignment responses compulsorily before taking Term-End Examinations from time to time to complete an academic programme. A learner has to submit Tutor Marked Assignments (TMA) responses to the Coordinator of the Study Centre to which s/he is attached. Term-end examination is conducted at various examination centres spread all over the country and abroad in June and December every year.
Steps to Calculate percentage and Marks by IGNOU Grade Card
- In total you’ll need 40/100 (40%) in theory.
- 50/100 (50%) in practicals.
- 50/100 (50%) in assignments.
- In Courses with practicals 75% marks are from theory and practical and rest 25% are from assignments.
- Let you score 50/100 in TEE theory and 60/100 in practical and 80/100 in assignment. Then your score is — 55% of 75 i.e. 41 & 80% of 25 i.e. 20. And your final score will be — 61/100.
In Courses without practicals 70% marks are from theory and 30% from assignments.
Let you score 70/100 in theory and 80/100 in assignments. Then your score is — 70% of 70 i.e. 49 & 80% of 30 i.e. 24. And your final score will be — 73/100.
IGNOU uses the following system of “Grading” for evaluating learners’ achievement
|Letter Grade||Qualitative Level||Point Grade|
For Bachelors’ and Masters’ degree programmes, normally the system of numerical marking is followed, and the marks secured in assignments, TE Exams, etc. are later converted into grades as per the five-point grading scale given above. However, if required by the learner, the university provides numerical marks and division (I, II or Pass).
IGNOU 10-Point Grading System
|Letter Grade||Numerical Grade||Percentage|
|A+ (Excellent)||9||>||75 to < 85|
|A (Very Good)||8||>||65 to < 75|
|B+ (Good)||7||>||55 to < 65|
|B (Above Average)||6||>||50 to < 55|
|C (Average)||5||>||40 to < 50|
|D (Pass)||4||>||35 to < 40|
|F (Fail)||0||< 35|